Thursday 17 July 2008

The bat's back

Ok, before you start yabbering about the fact that it's no surprise that I like dark things, I would put to you that it's the human story that defines Batman. One of revenge, loss and hope mixed with fear and anger. Too negative? Not at all I say.

Anyway, enuff of my bollocks ramblings. I'm excited about the new Batman movie The Dark Knight. I have to admit that initially I wasn't quite sure whether I would be able to watch the movie after the death of Heath Ledger. Working where I work, I spent many days working on stuff related to his death, and having known some of his school mates, I felt the loss more keenly than some, I suppose.

It's true in a way what Stalin infamously said: One death is a tragedy. One million deaths is a statistic. Millions are dying in conflicts, in health epidemics and natural disasters all over the world, but here we are as a consumerish, celebrity-obsessed society dwelling on the death of one Aussie party boy, if the tabloids are to be believed.

But I digress. I was a fan of the first Batman series, but pretty much lost interest after watching the very disappointing Batman Forever. Though I'm a big fan of Christian Bale, I wasn't too sure if reviving the series was going to work. But it did and it really did show that a so-called Hollywoody popcorn comic book series type book can be good if its get a great director (Christopher Nolan) and a talented and dedicated set of actors (Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Michael Caine etc).

Anyway, here's a quote about why Bale likes playing Batman:

"Dark characters tend to attract more attention because they're more intriguing. We're interested in people who break the rules of civilised society because that side of us is in all of us, that shadow side."

Indeed.

And of course, here's the trailer:



Enjoy the movie ...

No comments: