Friday 30 March 2007

When feelings suddenly die

Have you ever liked someone for a long time, and then suddenly woke up one day and realised that you didn't have those feelings towards them anymore?

I had such a thing happen to me recently. I woke up one day and it just hit me that I didn't like that person in that way anymore. It was kinda strange - on the one hand, I felt like I was finally released from these strong feelings that I've had, and it was a relief. But on the flipside, I felt very empty too - it was as if I had lost something very dear to me.

I guess this experience is most dramatically seen in some marriage breakups. One day, a person realises that they don't love their other half anymore, and they tell them so. The partner is confused and shocked - "Where did this come from?" they ask. "I dunno" is the usual answer.

Do you think that such a sudden change in feelings is possible? Or is it an accumulation of months and years of doubt about the relationship that come to a head - and the person suddenly realises that they've lost that "lovely feeling"?

Perhaps what's frightening is that it could happen to any one of us. Of course, people shouldn't go into a relationship or marriage thinking of the day when they might breakup with that special person - relationships are a calculated risk to a certain extent after all, and nothing is a certainty in life. But isn't it kinda scary to suddenly lose your feelings about someone?

No comments: